Friday, November 24, 2017

Cover me!

This works on a few levels.

Taking heavy damage from the ravages of NaNoWriMo, which I will not officially win this year, my first attempt. I made it over 11k words into a new project before I had to turn back to book 4 of the Saga. Next year I will make sure I have a lot more prep done before November 1st.

I'm currently over 102k words, halfway through chapter 58 of a planned 61(probably more). Unless Ken recommends massive cuts, this will be by far the longest novel in the series to date. It's pretty exciting.

I contacted my cover artist, and he's experiencing technical difficulties. He's taking a break while he settles into his new day job, and getting his hardware/software issues sorted out. Needless to say, I was more than a little bummed to hear this, as I could use a little visual motivation to push this first draft over the edge.

There is another cover artist that I've been recommending to some of my SBDC clients and author friends. We talked about it for a few days and she wasn't sure she wanted to take up the mantle, as I really would like to keep the same feel for the rest of the series. We will probably work together on some other projects though, as I like her work and she is really reasonably priced on the covers she does.

So, I dove into Fiverr, spent about 10 hours looking at reviews and examples of cover work from various freelancers. I just ordered a cover from a company with really great reviews and a huge catalog of finished products. They did have a few complaints, but it's a really small number. We'll see what it looks like in a few days.